Friday, November 2, 2012

Week 2 of Homeschooling


YAY! Another homeschooling post to show Ryder's fun preschool homeschool learning!

This week, our theme was JUNGLE.

On Monday, we printed out a coloring page, and pasted it to our board.
I explained what the jungle was, and we had fun naming all of the different animals on the coloring page, such as Elephants, Snakes, Lions, Monkey's, Hippos (I didn't even know Ryder knew this one, yet, he named it right off the bat), and others!

The vocabulary word for this week was VINE- plants with long, thin bendable stems that grow on the ground or climb up trees, etc.  We colored a picture of a vine with some really pretty Morning Glory flowers on them and posted them to our learning board. Here is a picture of Ryder bringing me what he thought was a "vine" while he was outside working with daddy. How cute.



I played "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" song for Ryder. He thought it was quite funny when I sang "whoee, whoee, whoee oh um oh way!" and he got very silly jumping around at the wheem o whack o wheem o whack part! LOL. I don't know why I always call it that.

I also braved the Library for the first time with Ryder and the baby and we chose some books to go along with the Jungle Theme. Again, these are listed for us in the Brightly Beaming Free Preschool Curriculum- so we just went down the list and pulled the ones the Library had. Ryder had a lot of fun and I was glad to be able to document this FIRST for him. I can't wait for our weekly Library trips!



On Tuesday, we learned about the color GREEN. Ryder knows quite a few colors already, but it was still nice to go over it, and point out things that are green around the house and town while running errands. We also incorporated the color by wearing green clothing, and revisiting last week's shape by drawing and coloring GREEN SQUARES.

Our Library Books
On Wednesday, I introduced the letter of the week- which is B. We printed the letter out, he colored it, and we practiced words like BAnanna (this was great, since before we learned this letter, he was just saying "nana" for bananna, and now, he says it correctly!)

 





Here is Ryder showing his "B" picture to Baby Rhett.












 We posted the letter B on his learning board, and we did a fun Letter of the week project by creating a BEE to post up on his wall.


                                                
   
  
He has so much fun with these Letter of the week crafts! I think they are the highlight of his week. 
"B" is for BEE!
 Thursday, we discussed the number of the week, which is 2. Ryder has surprised me very much this week by counting all the way to 11 by himself! I am telling you, that Team UmiZoomi has something going on- he watches them all the time, and then I realize he is learning all these numbers! Teehee. Maybe I should limit his Team UmiZoomi time??

Sign of the week this week is TIGER
Poem for this week: I had a little nut tree
Bible verse for this week is B:  Be Kind To One Another, Ephesians 4:32


This week, we took a "field trip" and attended the MOPS annual playdate at the Pumpkin Patch and had a blast! I incorporated as much learning as I could during this trip, and am proud of myself for recognizing "learning" in regular everyday environments as a homeschooling mom. It's so much fun!
In both of these pictures, Ryder demonstrates his knowledge of the number "2" to me by explaining that he and Rhett are "TWO boys saying cheese" in this picture. Then, he poses with "TWO Pumpkins mommy!"



We talked about how Pumpkins grow on a VINE, which was our vocabulary word for the week...


I think we will use this as his 2012 School Picture!

and had other schooling opportunities as well...


Physical Education :)
Practicing Fine Arts- Photography
Science :)


During play with the other kids in MOPS, Ryder gets to act on his Bible Verse for the week too, as I remind him that Jesus says to "Be Kind To One Another". 

As before, I am ending this post with a picture of our Learning Board from this week: These are easier than you would think to put together, once you get the first one done. I am already excited about getting the one for next week started!


 Thanks for reading! I hope if you run across this blog, you are inspired as I was, to do some type of schooling with your young children! It is so much fun for them and for me! I am blessed to be able to stay at home and do this with my almost 3 year old, and I can't wait to use the same lessons for Baby Rhett when his time comes. Stay tuned for Week 3: Theme of "Kittens"!


No comments:

Post a Comment